Drunk Driver Wrecks Are Not "Accidents"

Get a Free Consultation

Winston-Salem Dram Shop Liability Attorneys

Drunk driving accidents often cause major injuries, but there may not be enough insurance coverage on the vehicles to pay for the medical bills and lasting disabilities. North Carolina law makes it possible to sue not only the drunk driver, but a business or private individual that provided the alcohol.

Maynard & Harris Attorneys at Law, PLLC, is a Winston-Salem law firm representing personal injury victims in surrounding areas of North Carolina. With more than 45 years of combined experience, our skilled trial lawyers have obtained many settlements and verdicts for people injured in drunk driving accidents. We offer a free initial consultation. Contact us as soon as possible.

Was the Driver Over-Served?

Under North Carolina's dram shop liability statute, a bar, liquor store, convenience store, restaurant or other establishment can be sued for damages for:

  • Serving or selling alcohol to a person who is obviously intoxicated and then injures or kills someone in a crash.
  • Selling alcohol to a minor (underage drinker) who injures others in a drunk driving accident.

The dram shop law extends to social host liability. An adult who hosts a party is likewise responsible for serving more alcohol to an already drunk person or furnishing alcohol to anyone under 21.

It is not necessary to prove that the adult or minor who caused the accident was legally drunk (.08). While a DUI conviction would obviously strengthen our case, we need only show evidence that the alcohol impaired the person's ability to drive safely and that the people who provided the drinks were negligent; this is a much lower standard than criminal liability.

Start the Investigation • Contact Us Immediately

The sooner we get involved after a drunk driving accident, the better your chances of recovering maximum compensation. We need to get our hands on the police report, interview witnesses to the crash (including passengers in both vehicles) and track down the source of the alcohol given to the driver.

You can contact our office online , or call us at 336-777-1411 or toll-free at 877-230-9100. We charge no fee for the initial consultation, and collect no attorney fees at all unless we recover compensation.

Se habla español